Sunday

Thing I love vs. Thing I hate

Thing I love: Gainsbourg and Birkin.


I was talking to a guy about two weeks ago. We were having one of those first conversations everyone has. He asked me what kind of music I listen to.I think this question is fucked, and here's why:

1. It is a bullshit way to get a first impression of someone (i.e. I have met plenty of nice people who like Michael Buble, Red Hot Chili Peppers or reggaeton)
2. I don't know what kind of music I listen to.

I do however appreciate the fact that this question is universal. No matter what city or country you're in, at any given moment you might have to pull some indie band that no one knows, or some folk artist from the 60s out of you ass to seem cool (how about the time I was at a bar in Prague and they had Ys by Joanna Newsome on repeat. I was like "whaaaaa?").

Anyway, I told him that I don't have a favorite type of music. Just favorite artists. I said that I prefer Serge Gainsbourg especially his work with Jane Birkin (Antoine Dvorak is my real answer, but this guy wouldn't have known...). And I apologized for the cliche nature of my response. He assured me that my answer was not cliche, because Gainsbourg and Birkin are timeless classics. He said that everyone he has met, no matter age or generation, loves them.

To that I say: Good job France.

(p.s. Have you seen those pictures of Lou Doillon on french Playboy? I don't know what to say. They are so cool. She is so cool.)

Thing I hate: Jambon.


This hate is very specific because I do not eat meat. But even if I did, I would stay the fuck away from ham. Look at that. It is disgusting. And it is in everything. I almost ate ham bread by accident once. Nothing is off limits. I bet just by breathing the air in France I have inadvertently eaten like 10 hams. They put eggs in everything too. The most bizarre is when they crack an egg on top of a pizza. Ryann was actually the first person to call my attention to this. It looks gross. There are also hard boiled eggs everywhere. But I don't hate eggs like I hate ham.

Vegetarianism is a joke to this country. If I weren't 16 years deep might ditch it.

No comments: